CreativeBooks

Everything I read and was able to post about in 2005. Entries dated on the date each book was finished.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dexter, Michigan, United States

I've been taking photos since I eagerly asked for and received my first camera on my 12th birthday. Naturally, I was made for scrapbooking. I also enjoy knitting, quilting, and swimming. I used to be CreativeExile; my email still reflects that!

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Horse Heaven

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

The one prejudice I have against Jane Smiley (and it's an obscure one), is that waaay back when, a number of years ago, I chose to consult a psychiatrist for my depression, and went through lengthy (and boring, I caught her smothering a yawn once) talk therapy, my shrink had Smiley's Moo on her desk for a long time.

Since then, I've avoided Smiley, thinking her a cynical, highbrow writer of liter-AH-ture, read by brainy psychiatrists and other high-end professionals. It did take me a while to get through Horse Heaven, but only due to the incredible twists of characters and plots that mark, for me, one damn hard-working author.

Not only does Smiley give life to the people surrounding racehorses, she gives life (in the form of personalities, and quirks and charms and real pathos) to the horses. Yet another thing to admire in an author. You cared about every one of the five horses whose world she portrayed.

Now, I'm a natural-born horse afficianado, so I'm curious as to whether Moo makes cows as personable...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home